Experts have theorized for decades, that weight loss is more than just diet and exercise. One must be in the proper mindset to make lifestyle changes that come with a change in attitude. In order for weight loss and lifestyle changes to occur, one must be able to make the transition in their mind to believe that these changes are indeed possible. How do you prepare your mind for this weight loss transition? Using these tips, you can help to adjust your attitude and reach your weight loss goals with ease.
1. Use Realistic Goals. Setting realistic goals for yourself is crucial, as this is going to be a lifestyle change. You must continue to live within these realistic goals when setbacks occur. There are going to be weeks when weight loss does not occur as quickly as you would like, and these short term setbacks must be dealt with accordingly. If you are in the right frame of mind, these setbacks can serve as motivation for long term weight loss goals.
2. Picture your "After" picture. Many patients are unable to picture themselves in the state of post-weight loss. Developing a mental image of yourself can assist in feeling good about the changes that are occurring within the body and the techniques that are being used to develop these changes. Focus on the future, the goals, techniques and sacrifices that you are going to have to make to get to that "future" self.
3. Focus on exercises that make you feel good. Activities that you enjoy are going to be motivators to live an active lifestyle. Consider transitioning the non-physical activities into physical activities, such as viewing movies or television programs while working out on the stationary bike at the gym. Remaining positive about exercise is as simple as enjoying the exercises that you are completing.
4. Those who exude confidence realise that confidence begins from the mind. When you view yourself as an active and healthy person, it gives merit to the processes that one must undertake when choosing this lifestyle. Remind yourself through the use of journals and mantras, daily about the effects that healthy weight loss is going to have on your life.
5. Team up with a workout partner, or a friend serious about weight loss. The process becomes easier when you have someone to share it with. A friend and workout partner allows you to bounce ideas from one another, give each other motivation and incentive while providing a valuable support system that is essential throughout the weight loss process.
6. Don't fall into the trap of using the scale as the only way to measure results. Avoid weighing yourself daily; instead stick to a schedule of weighing yourself once a week, or once a month. This will ensure that fluctuating weight loss due to body fluids and fluid retention do not cause hurdles in the weight loss process. Take simple pleasures like clothes fitting looser, and sticking to goals as success with the weight loss plan.
7. Don't forget to reward yourself. It is important to recognize when short term and long term goals have been met. Motivation can arise from these simple rewards. Learn to celebrate simple processes and continue with your weight loss plan, despite the hurdles that you may face. Small goals lead to larger goals which eventually lead to success! Learn to celebrate the small victories. Using these methods to create a positive attitude can lead to weight loss, the healthy way. Incorporating exercise and positive mindset can lead to increased stamina, significant weight loss and an overall increase in the positive outlook of the mind.
Find out if you qualify for weight loss surgery and if the LAP BAND procedure is right for you.